The Great Love Chapter

1st Corinthians 13 is known as the Great Love Chapter. In the New Testament Greek, there are two words that are translated into love, agápē and philia. The King James translators uses “charity” for the Greek word agápē, in this section - I always liked this. It is said that you can give without loving, but you can't love without giving. In chapter 13, charity is the highest form of love.

I. The Motive of Love, verses 1 - 3.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

What we say, think and do is not as important than why we said, thought or did those things. God is interested in your motive. People don't care what you know until they know you care.

II. The Manner of Love, verses 4 - 7.
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Love acts but love also restrains. Love makes you patient and kind. Love also keeps you from being proud, selfish and vengeful.

III. The Measure of Love, verses 8 - 10.
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

If you have real love, you can never fail. Love stands the test of time. Love is perfect.

IV. The Maturity of Love, verses 11 & 12.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Love grows. Young love is often puppy love. It is a love that clings and holds. But real love gives and ask nothing in return. This love is the love God demonstrated on the cross. Those who are young, fall in love with what they see, but looks can be deceiving. God see us as we really are and loves us anyway. God does not love us because of what He sees in us. God loves us despite what He sees in us.

V. The Maximum of Love, verse 13.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ten Commandments

No Christmas Without Christ

Introduction